The Animal under the Fur, E. J. Mellow


I want to thank the author for sending me an early copy of her book for review. I can’t tell you how excited and thankful I feel!

The Blurb

Orphaned on the streets as a baby, Nashville Brown, a.k.a Kill Operative 3, knows better than to rely on anyone. With heightened senses and superhuman strength to survive, she’s been raised as the perfect assassin.

The trick to her success? Keeping everyone, even her best friend, at arm’s length.

Losing his entire family in the span of a year, Carter Smith left his ability to love buried deep in their graves. His only concerns now are completing his missions and effortlessly charming the next temptress to warm his bed.

The key to his accomplishments? Working alone mixed with a Casanova smile.

But when a deadly weapon needs to be stopped from falling into the wrong hands, the lone wolves find themselves thrown into an explosive partnership. Can Carter and 3 lower their guns aimed at one another long enough to succeed, or will their unwillingness to compromise end up destroying more than their perfect records? Whatever their differences, both agree on one thing—in the game of lies and deceit, the line between friend and foe is often blurred by blood splatter.

The Animal Under The Fur is a hate-to-loath-to-love standalone novel filled with savagery, secrets, and enough angst to wrinkle the pages you’ll find gripped in your hands.

My Thoughts

Fun + Tension + Action + Romance = Perfection.

If you remember only one thing from my review, let it be that!

But truly there is so much more. The Animal under the Fur is a complex mix of spot-on writing, great characters, and original plot. Here’s me, being an excited cheerleader in the background. 

I think it’s only fair that we start with the characters. Nashville has to be one of my new favourites:she’s very down to Earth and three dimensional, and truly, she’s quite the woman, tough, brave, fiery, electric and strong. I could go on forever! But Carter is not left for nothing either: he’s an ass (and I love these) and a great narrator, too! The fact that we get to read the story from both their points of view is a great element for me, and I usually really love it - I did, once again. 

Taken separately, they’re great. Together, they’re perfect. They’re violent (in different ways), snappy, witty and their dialogues are written to perfection, truly! I want to be friends with both of them (from far away, though). 

One thing I absolutely adored was how distinctive their voices were. Even without knowing whose narrator was speaking, I could tell it was either Carter or Nashville. This is great writing. 

Another great writing aspect was the character developments. Man, these babies have come a long way by the end of the novel! As it progresses, you can truly feel that the unbreakable agents slowly start to crumble. I loved it.

One last word on characters: I loved Ceci, Akoni and Jules, and I wish I had more of them! 

It was so good to be back into reading E. J. Mellow’s writing - it’s so good and addictive! But also warm, like a comfy pj. I loved the descriptions of the different settings, and I could totally feel the scenery around me. The words were great, I loved the dialogues (again), and how witty and sarcastic the characters sounded. 

There were twists and turns, and I never knew where I was going, but I couldn’t put the book down for the life of me! (even at work!)

So… yeah. This book was the whole package, really. Great writing, elegant, classy and entertaining, a plot that kept me wondering, with enough frustration to make me restless and wanting more, and a beautiful cast of characters, that will definitely make my favourites’ list. 

Carter is Nashville’s passport to freedom.
Nashville is Carter’s passport to trust.

Kudos Mellow, you’ve done it again!

★★★★★

Links 

Goodreads
Author's website 
Twitter 
Tumblr

Commentaires

Articles les plus consultés